Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Santa Cruz

One of my dearest friends is travelling to South America in a few.  I am so excited for her journey has she will learn so much, encounter so many, and grow personally and spiritually.

We are currently planning out a part of her trip to Santa Cruz. This is so emotional as she will be travelling to a place that I once wander in that lives in my heart and soul.  As I told her, a huge piece of my heart belongs/stayed  in that dusty city.  I feel a such an ache for it and often when I think or speak about it, there is a lump in my throat.  It was such a growing place and time for me and I connected deeply with so many people there.  I used to think the Creator would fill those gaps. I don't believe that anymore- I think those gaps make us even more human, more like Jesus like, and are intentionally created to help us remember, grow, and hope.

Back to my story, I called my daycare director/mentor from Bolivia, Yuneth. Yuneth and I were basically attached at the hip during my time there. She taught me so much professionally and personally. She is like the older sister I never had but always wished for.  Yuneth is excited that a friend of mine wants to come to the daycare, share some medical knowledge with the amazing staff, and then volunteer at a public clinic.

Among all of the planning talk, we updated each other on our lives, the lives of our friends, family, etc. She informed me that a mom of the daycare has now joined that team and is blossoming. This was one of my favorite parents to work with. I actually wrote about her in this entry from my Bolivia blog- http://mevoyparabolivia.blogspot.com/2010/05/family-visits.html

I remembered her as being young, determined, and so loving to her daughter  Her daughter was beautiful, sassy and a fighter.  This mom now works full time for the daycare, has separated from her husband who was consistently making poor choices, is taking care of her child to the fullest, and joined the church.

When I heard all of this, I nearly broke down in tears. It is incredible to see how the work continues and that people/communities can change positively.

Remember to always be an advocate for change.  To throw yourself into your work fully and to always have hope.  Always work towards an earth that reflects heaven. Matthew 6:10- Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment