Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sorry!

At my weekly supervision with my coworkers today, our CEO walked into the room and made the remark "there is so much estrogen in this room." A scenario that is not too uncommon within the education, non-profit world. It started getting me thinking about how women often are the ones who carry forth the betterment of the future generations.  And I believe this to be the circumstance world wide. 

In the meeting, our CEO was giving us feedback that could have warranted an apology from us. But before anyone could do that, she took a moment to pause her thoughts and told us she didn't want anyone apologizing. But instead, she wanted us to take her feedback as a learning experience. She shared that women often apologize for the most mundane actions/mistakes and that we should never use the word "sorry" as reactionary mechanism. Something that I am so guilty of.

All women should strive to be the woman they want to be seen as, and not the woman that the world expects. As women, we need to be intentional about the language we use and the way we carry ourselves.  I know this is something I struggle with daily, but I continue to be inspired by all the strong women that surround me whether they are my co-worker, a family member, or a parent of one of my students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment