Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Meat (not) in my belly!

Over the last few weeks, I have been eating less and less meat.  This is an unintentional and intentional decision. Since coming back from Bolivia, I have become more interested in our eating habits as a society and how those decisions impact our quality of life, as United States citizen and worldly citizens. I also have never been a big meat person.

I don't claim to know much about the meat industry within the United States but what I do know is that much of the meat we consume come from unhealthy animals.  How does that affect us when we digest that food then?  Purchasing organic meat is an option, but more and more evidence is coming out recently that organic does not necessarily equal ethical or local.  Therefore, where does that leave us?

I will tell you! Supporting your local farmer.  Which means paying $10.99/lb at the local stand at market. Something this non-profit, community loving individual can't afford.  This leaves me with learning how to cook more vegetarian meals at home.

Now that being said, I have never been a huge fan of meat. It would gross me out when sandwiches or wraps would be packed with a mix of ham and turkey or just packed in general with deli meat. When I was younger, I would pick at my meat or sometimes not eat it at all during dinner and it used to drive my mom crazy! She could not believe that her Puerto Rican daughter preferred the rice, plantains, and bread over la carne!

The transition to becoming half vegetarian has been a fairly easy one. And in saying "half vegetarian,"  I decided for an indefinite amount of time, I will be making vegetarian meals only at home. I will not however limit myself when I go to restaurants and if I want a side of bacon with my breakfast, I will order that. All I want to do is limit my intake of meat and try to make more intentional decisions about my every day habits.

This new endeavor has challenged me to find creative ways to cook meals so that I continue to receive all of the necessary nutrients and to try new foods! It has been a journey and I hope to continue learn more about the topic and learn new recipes. Know any good books?

The following are a few sites that have been helpful in finding delicious recipes:

http://www.thekitchn.com/

http://101cookbooks.com/

http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/08/never-homemaker-our-recipes.html

Do any of you have any good sites you like to frequent?


1 comment:

  1. foodgawker.com is an awesome site for finding all kinds of great dishes. you can filter categories and search for vegan or vegetarian items. the photos are beautiful, too - which for me is a great motivator to actually make something! i've been vegetarian for a little over 3 years, but haven't been so good about making healthy meals (grilled cheese has been my staple). here's to trying something new!

    ReplyDelete